Home » Other » General » Is there value in testing deferrable constraints?
Is there value in testing deferrable constraints? [message #158614] Mon, 13 February 2006 08:33 Go to next message
brightgarden
Hello.

I don't know where to post this question. Feel free to move the discussion.

In a nutshell, we have two applications accessing the database (VB and Java). None of our constraints are deferrable. The database was designed in 8i, but we've since migrated to 9i (and on our way to 10g). I want to make a few foreign key constraints deferrable to deal with a design catch-22.

I have looked and looked for any caveats, problems, issues related to using deferrable constraints on a multi-user/multi-application database, and can't find anything that addresses this.

I'm inclined to think that testing our applications for this deferrable constraint is about the same as testing to make sure the non-null constraints function as expected--something we really just trust the database to do properly.

So, is there value in testing deferrable constraints? Is there a chance that our legacy applications will screw up because of them? It seems so unlikely.

Thanks.

- Maggie
Re: Is there value in testing deferrable constraints? [message #158654 is a reply to message #158614] Mon, 13 February 2006 16:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
If you have a design issue/problem/stuff-up/executive decision then just test - test - test. Many applications have the constraints in the application and not the database. I would PREFER the constraint in the database but, hey, I'm anal.

David
Re: Is there value in testing deferrable constraints? [message #158659 is a reply to message #158654] Mon, 13 February 2006 16:16 Go to previous message
brightgarden
Thanks for the reply.
Previous Topic: help file
Next Topic: best size 4 pctfree
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 01:33:15 CDT 2024