Home » Other » General » Help with my reserach! Need you!
Help with my reserach! Need you! [message #153833] Wed, 04 January 2006 05:44 Go to next message
Dev|anT
I am writing a report on improving performance in relational databases, for my primary research I need to gather information straight from some experienced DBAs. I am going to be visiting a few companies in person but thought some extra research online would be really good!

I need some DBAs with good experience of oracle databases. My report topic is improving performance in databases.

There are a few questions below that I would like you to fill out! Please copy and paste the questions into an e-mail and e-mail the answers to timpayne45@hotmail.com
with subject: Orafaq Research

Thanks Your time is much appreciated!

Size of database you work with(users)

Most common performance problems in your database(details)

How often is your database tuned?

What are the biggest causes of poor performance in your database?
Poor database design
Poor SQL
Poor use of triggers/procedures/functions

Choose one

Does your company use any third party tools to help increase performance?

If yes please provide details

For each of the following please state weather or not you use these and how much of an impact they have on the overall performance of your database.

Normalization
Indexes
Clusters
Tablespaces
Chaining
Hashing
Hints

[Updated on: Wed, 04 January 2006 09:34]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Help with my reserach! Need you! [message #153864 is a reply to message #153833] Wed, 04 January 2006 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maaher
I fail to see the importance of the following information:
  1. Name
  2. Country
  3. Job title
  4. Years of oracle experience
  5. Qualifications e.g. degree, oracle certification
  6. Company

@Dev|anT:
I remember a similar thread in the recent past that ended up messy, so I propose you limit your questionnaire to the rest of the questions. Edit your message accordingly. The above questions are irrelevant for an anonymous survey.

@all:
Exclamation WARNING: Any discussion about the following and I'll see it closed:
  1. How good you are.
  2. How to obtain visa/green cards or whatever you like to call it.
  3. What fees/salaries one is getting.

I won't let it turn into a monster like last time Wink. I'm sorry but we have to keep things tidy in here.

MHE
Re: Help with my reserach! Need you! [message #153865 is a reply to message #153833] Wed, 04 January 2006 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dev|anT
Ok, the begining questions are there to get a background on the person filling out the questionairre. Therefore I can provide evidence that what they are saying is correct.

It has nothing to do with a job or anything! Its just a research paper. Smile

I will however remove the first few questions as you are the boss Smile

P.S. Could you fill out the questionaire? Wink

[Updated on: Wed, 04 January 2006 09:33]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Help with my reserach! Need you! [message #153889 is a reply to message #153865] Wed, 04 January 2006 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maaher
Dev|anT wrote on Wed, 04 January 2006 16:32

Ok, the begining questions are there to get a background on the person filling out the questionairre. Therefore I can provide evidence that what they are saying is correct.

Without wanting to go into details: last time a school survey was entered here, some people thought it was an open invitation to start how to obtain visa for the US and to brag about the money they made etc... I might have been a little hasty in my warning but I want to avoid a similar discussion. In the end, the OP didn't get the answers to his questions. So the warning was not for you specifically and I didn't want to imply that you were looking for a job.

As a side note: No matter what people are saying on the board, especially personal information, you can never check them nor can you rely on them to be the absolute truth.

Dev|anT wrote on Wed, 04 January 2006 16:32

I will however remove the first few questions as you are the boss Smile
Thank you for your changes, but I'm not the boss around here. This board needs moderators to keep things in order and I'm just one of them. If you want the boss: Frank Naude is the man Wink.

Now, As for your questions:
I'm no DBA so I'm afraid I cannot help you out. Will you settle for a partially filled out survey Very Happy ?

MHE
Re: Help with my reserach! Need you! [message #153891 is a reply to message #153833] Wed, 04 January 2006 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dev|anT
Yep fill it out if you can! If you are unsure on any questions just leave them out! Smile

Thanks
Re: Help with my reserach! Need you! [message #153992 is a reply to message #153891] Thu, 05 January 2006 05:00 Go to previous message
Maaher
Sent.

MHE
Previous Topic: Difference between Database,DBMS,RDBMS,ORDBMS
Next Topic: how to learn visual basic
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 05:40:01 CDT 2024