Home » Other » General » Oracle 9i installation
Oracle 9i installation [message #132684] Mon, 15 August 2005 12:07 Go to next message
rajanioracle
Dear Sir or Madam:

While installing in my laptop, I was getting the following message,
"The Java RunTime Environment was not found at C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\RAJANI\LOCAL SETTINGS\Temp\OraInstall\jre\bin\jrew.exe. Hence, the Oracle Universal Installer cannot be run.
Please visit http://www.javasoft.com and install JRE version 1.1.7 or higher and try again."

I have already downloaded the following from http://java.sun.com/ and installed in C: drive,
j2sdk-1_3_1_16-windows-i586

My laptop configuration is,
Compaq Presario V2148AP – Microsoft Windows XP Home; Intel Pentium M Processor 735 (#) supports Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology (1.7GHz, 2MB L2 cache, 400MHz FSB); 14" colour TFT WXGA (1280 x 768 resolution) High-definition BrightView 15:9 Widescreen; 512MB (2 x 256MB) DDR SDRAM (266MHz); 80GB (4200 rpm); DVD±RW/±R; Integrated Intel Extreme Graphics 2 (up to 64MB Shared Memory)

I have set the following under Environment Variables (Variable Value),

PATH c:\Sun\jwsdp-1.6\jwsdp-shared\bin;c:\Sun\AppServer\bin;c:\jdk1.3.1_16\bin

My java programs are running well. I have not partitioned the hard disk, as I don't prefer it. And I cannot find the "jrew.exe" anywhere. I came across on the Internet, "For the record: No Oracle Product will work on Windows ME or Windows XP Home Edition so don't even bother." Is that so? What is your idea? I anticipate a solution in your reply.

Cordially,
Rajani
Re: Oracle 9i installation [message #132697 is a reply to message #132684] Mon, 15 August 2005 14:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
Although technically Oracle may only be certified to run on Windows XP Professional Edition, not Windows XP Home Edition, many of us run it on the Home Edition with no problems. I am running Oralce 9i Enterprise Edition Release 9.2.0.1.0 on Windows XP Home Edition on a Sony Vaio notebook computer with no problems. My jrew.exe is in C:\Program Files\Oracle\jre\1.1.8\bin. My drive is partitioned and Oracle is installed in d:\oracle\ora92.

When you attempt the installation, are you logged in as an operating system user with administrator privileges, as required? If you have the necessary items installed, but can't see them, then we must suspect a privilege issue. What directory are you trying to install to? Have you tried just accepting the defaults? I would try following all instructions exactly. For example, if it tells you to download something from one site and you have already downloaded something similar from another site, I would go ahead and download from the recommended site again, as it may do someting slightly different, like putting something in a certain directory, that may make a difference. Also, if prompted to restart your computer before continuing, then do so. If you have done a partial installation, you may have to uninstall before re-installing.

Re: Oracle 9i installation [message #132899 is a reply to message #132697] Tue, 16 August 2005 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rajanioracle
Dear Barbara Boehmer:

Thanks for your idea.

But as soon as double click my CD/DVD drive, I get a screen showing,
Install/Deinstall Products
Explore CD
Browse Documentation

When I double-click "Install/Deinstall Products", I get a message,
"The Java RunTime Environment was not found at C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\RAJANI\LOCAL SETTINGS\Temp\OraInstall\jre\bin\jrew.exe. Hence, the Oracle Universal Installer cannot be run.
Please visit http://www.javasoft.com and install JRE version 1.1.7 or higher and try again."

So there is no question of my logging in as an operating system user with administrator privileges.

As it turned out, I saw the file "jrew.exe" in my colleague's system under his directory c:\j2sdk-1_4_2_02\jre\bin\ who has installed j2sdk-1_4_2_02-windows-i586-p. Probably I can install the same. But where do I download j2sdk-1_4_2_02-windows-i586-p from? My colleague does have the j2sdk-1_4_2_02-windows-i586-p installer. Can I copy just the "jrew.exe" from him and paste to the required folder of mine? Will it work then? Moreover, the folder, LOCAL SETTINGS which the Oracle Universal Installer mentions is a hidden folder. Actually, I am trying to install Oracle 9i Server in my C: drive, I have not partitioned my hard disk as I don't prefer it.

Moreover, I have installed successfully MSSQL7 in my C: drive. I reiterate that my java programs are running well and I have set the following under Environment Variables (Variable Value),
PATH c:\Sun\jwsdp-1.6\jwsdp-shared\bin;c:\Sun\AppServer\bin;c:\jdk1.3.1_16\bin

Where do I go from here? Can you clue me in?

Warmly,
Rajani
Re: Oracle 9i installation [message #132906 is a reply to message #132899] Tue, 16 August 2005 16:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
Please try downloading from here:

http://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp
icon8.gif  Re: Oracle 9i installation [message #146464 is a reply to message #132697] Thu, 10 November 2005 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rajeevranjan

hi pal,
this is rajeev. i m new in fors 6i and i m facing installation probs in my pc. i have winXP and installed oracle 9i in c:\ successfully.then when i try 2 install d2k then oracle is not responding.but forms6i installed successfully. when i try to connect to oracle 9i then it does not get connect.i don't know how 2 install or configure. please help me .how 2 install oracle 9i and forms 6i so that i can easily use forms 6i with oracle 9i.
i will be greatful to u dear.
kindly reply me.
Regards
Rajeev
icon5.gif  Re: Oracle 9i installation [message #154464 is a reply to message #146464] Sun, 08 January 2006 17:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
asadi
Hello there
I've the same problem with oracle 9i exactly like rajeev
If any1 knows a solution 2 this, plz let me know.

many thanks.
Re: Oracle 9i installation [message #154626 is a reply to message #154464] Mon, 09 January 2006 16:01 Go to previous message
djmartin
Account Moderator
I think you guys may be having a problem with your tnsnames.ora files. There is one 'in' the database home and another 'in' the forms home. These must be identical or point to each other. Search the 'forms' forum for 'tnsnames' and 'ifile'. I will check this fact and update this thread.

David

Upd: Change 'ifiles' to 'ifile'.

[Updated on: Mon, 09 January 2006 16:03]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: Electronic Forms
Next Topic: eBooks
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 03:47:17 CDT 2024