Home » Other » General » Oracle Versions, Installations and Details
Oracle Versions, Installations and Details [message #104124] Sun, 01 August 2004 10:39
xandross
Hi, I'm new to Oracle world, right now I'm kind of confused with many versions of Oracle and its part. Can someone give me a brief explanation to Oracle products ?

First of all, I just found out that there is Oracle 11i, I thought 10g is the newest Oracle right ? or maybe 11i is the continuation from 9i ? and 10g is another technology for clustering (i.e. grid computing ?)

Now, in Oracle, it has several sub-divisions like Database, Enterprise Manager, Developer Suite, Application Server and JDeveloper. Can someone explain to me which one should I install if I want to use Oracle and its SQL-Plus and Form Builder ?

According to my knowledge right now, the Oracle Database is a must, then the Application Server is more like a container for J2EE (and other things), and the Developer Suite is the package that has all the software such as Form Builder, Report Builder and SQL*Plus or Pro C/C++.

Please correct my mistakes if I am wrong.

PS : Can someone also point out a tutorial or howto install Oracle Database for Win2k/Linux/*BSD and how to install the Developer suite plus how to connect them together ? Is it possible to use only 1 computer to do everything ? (i.e. install database and developer suite so there is no need for remote connection)
Previous Topic: Protocal adaptor error
Next Topic: Error while opening PDF file
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 11:36:18 CDT 2024