Home » Other » General » Interested in Oracle as a career
Interested in Oracle as a career [message #102233] Mon, 01 April 2002 09:31 Go to next message
Brando
Good Day to all.

My name is Brando and I am interested in choosing Oracle database administration as a career but I do not know where to begin to receive the education.

Oracle University is quite expensive and I do not know where to begin learning on my own. I think beginning with SQL should be my first step.

Your response is truly appreciated.

Regards,

Brando
Re: Interested in Oracle as a career [message #102242 is a reply to message #102233] Wed, 03 April 2002 04:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Armani D
Brando,

I have ben an Oracle DBA for a very rewarding 12 years and I am ready to retire next year at the ripe old age of 34.

Like you, I had to find a way to teach myself. Your first step is to get certifiewd as an Oracle DBA. To do this you will find yourself locked in a room for countless hours studying as Oracle is not an easy beast to tame, but as you can see the rewards in the future will be well worth it.

Your first book should be Oracle for beginners. You can find this book at any major book store or amazon.com This will take you through basic SQL and data selection with an introduction to Oracle. Start fresh with 9i, do not bother learning 8 as it will soon be obsolete like Oracle 6 and 7 are today. Your next book once you have mastered the basic arhictecture wil be the Oracle DBA handbook 9i.

The life of an Oracle DBA led me to see many places I would of never otherwise known about. I met great people and made some lifelong friends along this 12 year journey. Now, I sit here by the compute at my house ready to install 9i for a client in Miami very soon as a mtter of fact and thought you might like to hear my thoughts.

The road was very tough, but be strong always be honest wih yourself and other as an Oracle DBA and learn to be a very good listener and team player. For an Oracle DBA is just that, someone who sustains the heartbeat of any company.

I wish you luck as you embark in this great journey as an Oracle DBA.

Armani
Re: Interested in Oracle as a career [message #102244 is a reply to message #102242] Wed, 03 April 2002 05:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brando
Thank you for the response and advise.

Your tips or further advice will truly be appreciated.

Regards,

BA
Re: Interested in Oracle as a career [message #102271 is a reply to message #102233] Wed, 10 April 2002 06:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michael Fisher
Hi Brando:

I recently started taking courses for Oracle Developer at a local college. Make sure what ever courses you take are geared towards the OCP tests and also truly teaches you practicle oracle lessons a s well. 8i is still what is being tested so don't worry about 9i right now. Most businesses are not there yet either.

Good luck,
Re: Interested in Oracle as a career [message #102562 is a reply to message #102242] Sun, 21 July 2002 02:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Amit
hi!

well im a 21 yr old guy..i was thinking of going into the computer networking career..but right now im not really sure what career to go into.. i met some one a few days ago who introduced me to oracle and said that theres a good demand for people doing oracle and its something i should think about. I have no idea what oricle is about and how long would it take to learn it and become DBA...At the moment im doing a BTEC National Diploma In Computing and i have to make a choice of weather i want to do networking,Businees system(to do with database) or Programing...My weakness is programing.. im pretty good with MSAccess Applications and Networking (i like to do technical stuff)..At the moment its all basic stuff nothing too complex.. hope u could help me choose wat career i want to go for..Is it very brain reckin to learn Oracle??..Anyways thanks for ur time..
Amit
Re: Interested in Oracle as a career [message #102895 is a reply to message #102242] Sat, 30 November 2002 01:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hafizur Rahman
Hi
Y're right.Oracle is the Best for developing your career I think 'couse I realy enjoy this programing language.
Thanks
Chandan
Re: Interested in Oracle as a career [message #103193 is a reply to message #102242] Sat, 01 March 2003 11:17 Go to previous message
allen
Hi there,
Could youpleasesend me a list of all HTML tags? I really mean all tags.

Thanks Allen.
Previous Topic: List of tables
Next Topic: Re: Error PLS-00201
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 04:35:32 CDT 2024