Home » Open Source » MySQL » access and mysql: cascading insert into query problem (5, Windows 7)
access and mysql: cascading insert into query problem [message #613999] Wed, 14 May 2014 04:46
corpkilljoy
Hello.

I have been using Access 2003 paired with MySQL and have found out that I can perform cascading inserts that are not possible in Navicat or other GUI-related MySQL database designers/editors.

For example, table A with primary key AID is the main table while table B is a related table with foreign key BID. I made a query in Access that links both tables via these keys. Whenever I update the query by inputting a value for AID, that same value will be automatically placed on BID (both keys have to be present on the query definition).

However, adding records sometimes produce unpredictable results. Sometimes, an error message pops up saying that "Another user has edited this record before" or "The update is not possible due to a duplicate key value". Sometimes these messages don't appear at all. When they do appear, I will look into the query results and find a value of zero (0) entered into AID. The strange thing is that I always make sure that AID gets a legitimate value during the add new record state.

Does anyone have similar issues and possible solutions?
Previous Topic: Migrate data from Oracle to Mysql
Next Topic: MySQL Procedure not getting compiled
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 18:57:10 CDT 2024