Home » Other » General » Need Explaination for fifth normal form
Need Explaination for fifth normal form [message #576392] Mon, 04 February 2013 07:55 Go to next message
chn512
Hi every one,

I am preparing for exam , i went through many sites refarding fifth normal form, in our exam we need to identify whether the table is in Fifth normal form or not . can some body explain how to recognize whether the table is in fifth normal or not ?

Sample question :
Given is a table with three columns named "StudyProgramme", "Lecture" and "Subject". This table provides information about subjects which need to be contained in the given lecture for a study programme. As an example, the lecture "Programming" may cover the programming of "Sockets" for students of the study programme "Computer Science". On the other hand the lecture "Programming" for students from the study programme "Management" will probably not include this topic. Discuss whether this table is in fifth normal form.

Thanks,
Re: Need Explaination for fifth normal form [message #576394 is a reply to message #576392] Mon, 04 February 2013 08:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Hello, chn - OraFAQ is a professional forum dedicated to Oracle technology. You would be more likly to receive answers to your question on a forum oriented towards students of computer science.
Re: Need Explaination for fifth normal form [message #576396 is a reply to message #576392] Mon, 04 February 2013 08:08 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Fifth normal form is almost never used. In fact in 25 years in rdbms environment I have NEVER seen it.
The most used normal form is Third one but many software do not use even the First one (as they have no primary key and with the coming of XML, some columns are no more atomic).

See Normalization for an example.

Regards
Michel

[Updated on: Mon, 04 February 2013 08:09]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: Please let me know how can I organise the application development area
Next Topic: DB LINK VS WEB SERVICE
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 17:47:32 CDT 2024