Home » Developer & Programmer » Application Express, ORDS & MOD_PLSQL » Apex 4.1.1 and 4.2.1
Apex 4.1.1 and 4.2.1 [message #572781] Mon, 17 December 2012 10:25 Go to next message
John Watson
Hello, you Apex people! I've just installed Apex into a new DB, so of course I chose the latest release: 4.2.1.00.08, out last week. But I've now been asked to get rid of that, and install 4.1.1 instead. The reason being,

"... I believe there are fundamental differences between 4.1 and 4.2, in that changes need to be made to an app developed under 4.1 to run under 4.2... so they won't be able to just export an app from DEV and import into PROD and be sure it will work... "

I've no problem doing this, but is that reasoning actually correct? Is upgrading a hassle, and staying on the release a sensible thing to do?

Thank you for any insight.
Re: Apex 4.1.1 and 4.2.1 [message #572807 is a reply to message #572781] Mon, 17 December 2012 15:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
I didn't quite understand which version is DEV, and which is PROD? I suppose that they aren't the same, are they? If not, why not? It would be simpler if they were.

As far as I can tell (based on my previous experience):
  • if you export an application from a lower version and import it into a higher version, it will most probably work OK
  • if you export an application from a higher version and import it into a lower version, it won't work at all

I doubt that there are fundamental differences between these two versions; didn't test it (yet) - we installed 4.2 last Friday but I didn't have time to do export/import & test.
Re: Apex 4.1.1 and 4.2.1 [message #572853 is a reply to message #572807] Tue, 18 December 2012 03:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
c_stenersen
We have upgraded from v 4.0 to 4.1 without problems (the only thing I saw was that the html table in a report was slightly changed in the template so I had to do a modification in my customized stylesheet) and from v 4.1 to v 4.2 with no problems. And we have many ApEx applications running.
Re: Apex 4.1.1 and 4.2.1 [message #572854 is a reply to message #572853] Tue, 18 December 2012 03:46 Go to previous message
John Watson
Thank you for your replies.
LF, this is a new app and we are building the machine that will be used in producton, so the situation is a bit different from the usual dev/prod set up for a running app. I think the project manager is concerned that upgrading now would entail a lot of work and delay the project's live date. If you do try to transfer one of your applications to 4.2.1, I would be interested to know if goes smoothly.
CS - if the upgrades were straightforward for you, perhaps it will be for everyone. Thank you for the information, I'll pass it on.
Previous Topic: ID into a procedure argument
Next Topic: passing parameters to apex url
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 08:17:48 CDT 2024