Home » Other » General » What hardware for oracle 10g (redhat linux 5.0)
What hardware for oracle 10g [message #435867] Fri, 18 December 2009 08:23 Go to next message
sekharsomu
Hi,
i am taking a 3 month long ORACLE AND REDHAT SYSTEMS ADMINISTRATION COURSE. as i intend to write my OCP exam
at present i have a PC at my home.
But now i am taking the course at a place far way from my home town
as the course itself is too costly for me i want to be as economical as possible on hardware now i intend to buy a netbook with Intel® Atom™ processor N280.and 1gb RAM

Does this support my oracle 10g server edition and i planning to install REDHAT 5.0 as OS?

I Know that the minimum requirements are far less but i just wanted to have opinions of guys who used oracle on atom processors
to eliminate all the chance of having any problems due to hardware requirments

[Updated on: Fri, 18 December 2009 08:50]

Report message to a moderator

Re: What hardware for oracle 10g [message #435883 is a reply to message #435867] Fri, 18 December 2009 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
Oracle really does not know or care about the make or model of the CPU in your system.
Re: What hardware for oracle 10g [message #435919 is a reply to message #435867] Fri, 18 December 2009 23:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
delna.sexy
You can ask to your trainer also for this.

But I would suggest to go for some higher configuration, because it would cost for negligible amount.

regards,
Delna
Re: What hardware for oracle 10g [message #439437 is a reply to message #435867] Sat, 16 January 2010 16:46 Go to previous message
Kevin Meade
I have never owned an ATOM based laptop. I have however owned many laptops over the years with your basic AMD and INTEL cpus.

I read on the internet that the ATOM is a very low end CPU and many people are dissapointed with them.

My experience with laptops and oracle has been very good. I suggest you check the Staples sales. I have had several <400$ notebooks from Staples that all ran Oracle very well.

My best purchase was a dual-core laptop with 3GB of memory and 64 bit OS (Vista believe it or not) (and 64 bit Oracle). Speady machine, fast Oracle.

My friend also rages about the value of a 7200 RPM disk for oracle purposes. He says there is a night and day difference between 5400 and 7200 RPM. You may infact be able to get a laptop with such a drive and still stay within a 400-500$ price range. Here is what I would buy today if I were buying a laptop.

1) CORE-2 DUO or AMD version of same (not single core CPU)
2) 3GB or more memory (most laptops come w/3gb and the upgrade is not always worth it but more is better)
3) 64 bit OS (Windows 7) (64 bit needed for 4GB or more memory)
4) 7200 RPM drive (most newer laptops come with this speed drive)
5) Good Mobile Graphics (Nvidia first, ATI second, INTEL last) (all work and no play...)
6) Built in WEBCAM (built-ins actually work pretty good these days)

You should be able to get it for <500$... 450$ or less if you find it on sale. Again check Staples. I get my laptops nowhere else these days because they have such a great rebate system. You won't be able to play the absolute latest games, but just about.

Kevin
Previous Topic: Cloning of Oracle DB Server /Client via Ghost. Is it feasible?
Next Topic: Migration from Oracle 9i to 10g
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 19:55:05 CDT 2024