Home » Other » General » Oracle Developer or DBA (10g Windows)
icon5.gif  Oracle Developer or DBA [message #360491] Fri, 21 November 2008 03:00 Go to next message
raja.or.king
Hi all friends.

I have a question about the career.
Right now I am working as a Oracle Developer (1 year).
And I am planning to make my future with Oracle DBA.
But confused, whether to go developer side or DBA side.

Please guide me with respect to following parameters,

Future opportunity
Demand in India and Abroad
Salary
and others as you think.

Thanks in advance.
Re: Oracle Developer or DBA [message #360676 is a reply to message #360491] Sat, 22 November 2008 01:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank
I would go for Bank President.
Future opportunity: Good
Demand: Good
Salary: Excellent

Don't you think that you should go for something you LIKE instead of being so 'market-driven'?
If you want to be a DBA (and you have thought it over), then by all means, go for it. If it turns out that you cannot find a job, well, THEN would be the time to look around for other opportunities.
If you don't at least even TRY to do what you like, you will be sorry the rest of your working life.
Re: Oracle Developer or DBA [message #361328 is a reply to message #360676] Tue, 25 November 2008 23:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
raja.or.king
Thank you Frank.

but i didn't get your quote 'I would go for Bank President'

please reply.
Re: Oracle Developer or DBA [message #361331 is a reply to message #361328] Wed, 26 November 2008 00:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Frank doesn't want to be either a developer or a DBA. He'd rather be the president of a bank (you know, a house where people keep their money; in movies, it is often being robbed).
Re: Oracle Developer or DBA [message #361451 is a reply to message #360676] Wed, 26 November 2008 08:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joy_division
Frank wrote on Sat, 22 November 2008 02:37
I would go for Bank President.
Future opportunity: Good

In this current economic climate?
Re: Oracle Developer or DBA [message #361475 is a reply to message #361451] Wed, 26 November 2008 10:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Current probably not, but future probably yes.
Re: Oracle Developer or DBA [message #361522 is a reply to message #361475] Wed, 26 November 2008 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>>In this current economic climate?
Yes. Very preferably.
I got nothing to loose. May be a small dent in the multi-million dollar bonus and other perks.Smile
It even got better!. Someone will bail me out. In worst case,
I would convert mine into a holding bank and continue get more handouts.
Re: Oracle Developer or DBA [message #382619 is a reply to message #360491] Fri, 23 January 2009 04:16 Go to previous message
ahudspith
Iv had to work with many "new" DBA's over the years.

Most of them leave Production and go back to Development after a while if they can. It's not the money - Productions DBA's (if you are good...) usually earn more in my experience.

Most people just cant cope with the on-call rota, constant demands by the business and user communities, the constant threat of the sack if you make a mistake (managemenet post implementation meetings... work of Satan), etc.

Iv got one working for me now ... Iv calmed him down since putting in a few fixes ... I thought he was going to have a nervous breakdown last month when the web site loaded the wrong prices into our web catalog (cost us $500,000 USD in the period it took us from identifying the problem to fixing it from lost sales - and sales where we were almost giving away expensive items).

He no longer looks like he's going to be hung drawn and quartered - he's even stopped crying.

But he is still applying for every development position within 20 miles of here...

Thats your answer I think.
Previous Topic: Generate Sound with Triggers - "Alarms" behavior
Next Topic: Migration project
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 10:10:06 CDT 2024