Home » Other » General » ApEx Pros/Cons
ApEx Pros/Cons [message #359578] Mon, 17 November 2008 06:38 Go to next message
plsqlll
I am working on a project, in which i'm evaluating rapid application development software frameworks.

I am looking at frameworks written in ASP.NET. Some frameworks offer modules for form generation which puts them towards ApEx

I know that ASP.NET and ApEx can't be compared directly because it's a completely different architecture and framework.

I am interested in the limitations and pros/cons of ApEx.
Re: ApEx Pros/Cons [message #359654 is a reply to message #359578] Mon, 17 November 2008 19:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rleishman
Rapid application development is a methodology not a feature of a tool. That said, some tools are better suited than others.

I would have said that the primary benefit of APEX is that it lowers the required skills and experience of you programmers. If you wanted a technically rich / complex solution, APEX might not be the best choice.

If you are determined enough, thereis not much you cannot do in APEX; you can construct you own page and region templates to implement your own standards and look/feel. APEX also provides places where you can insert class/style information for many system generated tags to give you low-level control (eg. embedding javascript).

This is all well and good, but there are a couple of system generated tags you have little control over; for example, multiple regions in a Region Position will be implemented inside a table (problem if you are trying to implement a DIV/SPAN approach). Also, reports use tables but give you limited control over the column formatting.

Most of this can be overcome by working out the "APEX Way" and avoiding contrary methods.

The biggest limitation to rapid/agile development would be in Continuous Integration. The smallest unit of code that you can export/import is the APPLICATION. It is not possible to work on a page in your private domain and check it back into the main app at the end of the day. Every programmer would have to work within the same app at the same time.

Ross Leishman
Re: ApEx Pros/Cons [message #360271 is a reply to message #359578] Thu, 20 November 2008 04:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
plsqlll
Would you say that with PL/SQL and JavaScript in APEX you have an alternative for other languages such as PHP or ASP.NET?

I think that although much can be done in APEX, it doesn't make sense to create applications that only retrieve information from a database such as a personal website. APEX seems very good for CRUD functionality.
Re: ApEx Pros/Cons [message #360705 is a reply to message #360271] Sat, 22 November 2008 19:52 Go to previous message
rleishman
APEX can do more than CRUD, it's just that it's really good at CRUD.

I wouldn't say that it is a replacement for ASP / PHP. Before you choose APEX, you need to embrace its approach to web page design and implementation and be prepared to work with it and compromise occasionally.

Ross Leishman
Previous Topic: Puzzle n°11 - Dynamic Reshuffling Of A Given String in SQL
Next Topic: Dataload professional --> Form Playback Function
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 07:46:35 CDT 2024