Home » Other » General » Upload large files
icon2.gif  Upload large files [message #356832] Sun, 02 November 2008 13:56 Go to next message
rcbandit
Hi everybody,
I would like to ask you is it possible to upload very large files in oracle's tables. For example 1-2 gigabyte video file or even more. In other words is it possible to use oracle as file server to upload very large files and store them?

Regards
Re: Upload large files [message #356846 is a reply to message #356832] Sun, 02 November 2008 18:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
Question is, what are you going to do with those files and their contents?
Oracle is a database.
If the contents of the files are to be queried / analyzed / computed etc, it is worth it.
In other words, Oracle is not a file server. You can treat it
as a file server, just not worth it as it is not the right tool.
Re: Upload large files [message #356851 is a reply to message #356832] Sun, 02 November 2008 21:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rcbandit
Well, I want to create a web site where me and my friends in our company to store our files. I want to make a web site where I can upload very large files, store them in file server, examine the contents and download them when I need them.

I think that the data will be well-arranged if I use database program like Oracle or MySQL that arrange the data in stracture insted uploading data in one or more directories and the whole data is full mess.

Is it good practice to organize data that way or the is other way more effective method to organize such database?
Re: Upload large files [message #356894 is a reply to message #356851] Mon, 03 November 2008 00:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank
Sounds like storing the location of your uploads in a database is a better option for you.
That will also allow you to use the free Oracle XE version. Sounds like a hobby-project; any other version of Oracle does not come free.
Re: Upload large files [message #356904 is a reply to message #356832] Mon, 03 November 2008 01:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rcbandit
Before 3 weeks I read in internet about Oracle its capabilities. So I wonder if I write a web site and somehow made proper upload and download of files can I expect crash from Oracle or slow productivity? I dont know does developers have test such idea.
Is anybody see such project realized in his life or hear about it?

Well I am student secon year in university. This project will be ideal task for me to learn oracle and its capabilities. This will give me opportunities to learn programing databases. The project is just for study.

[Updated on: Mon, 03 November 2008 01:29]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Upload large files [message #356949 is a reply to message #356904] Mon, 03 November 2008 05:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
It is called a content/document management system.
There are too many such open source /GNU system available.
Some of them come with the database and a web interface and even support.
Just google.
Re: Upload large files [message #357000 is a reply to message #356949] Mon, 03 November 2008 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rcbandit
Ok, I will give an example of my idea:
The idea is user to type in his browser www.eaxample.com. After that to log in his account and see a directory just like a windows directory with files, icons and etc. And to be able to upload files maybe 1-2 gigabytes big from his computer and to store them in server and download them from the server and I even think that will be super if I manage somehow to give him a opportunity to watch his video files directly from the server.

I furst thoth that will be great if I use MySqL or Oracle for organizing data in file server. Every user's data won't be scattered every where in server. Everything will be well organized and puted in tables and after that with scripts from apache web server, php and etc. user will be able to get or put the data he need.

Please can you give a idea how it wiil be the best way to organize my idea, so users don't experience delay or problems with connectivity? How prefessional developer will make that kind of web site?

[Updated on: Mon, 03 November 2008 08:31]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Upload large files [message #357037 is a reply to message #357000] Mon, 03 November 2008 11:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ThomasG
Well, Oracle is NOT a file server, as someone already pointed out. Storing large files in the database will definitely be slower than storing them on the web server itself.

Also, you are able to put files on a file server inside folder either in a "well organized" or "scattered everywhere" fashion.

Just as well you are able to put them into a database inside tables either in a "well organized" or "scattered everywhere" fashion.

That is not so much dependent on the tool you use, but more on how you actually design the logic behind the way they are stored.

Re: Upload large files [message #357042 is a reply to message #357037] Mon, 03 November 2008 12:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rcbandit
I am not very familiar with file storage systems would you explain what you have in mind "how you actually design the logic behind the way they are stored".
Re: Upload large files [message #357062 is a reply to message #357042] Mon, 03 November 2008 13:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ThomasG
The basic logic. Like how to actually call/identify them. And how to link the files to the users. And how and where to actually set up the user accounts.

No matter if you store them on the file system or in a database, this would be the first things you have to figure out.

I think you are in over you head.

You would at least have to know what some basic things like disks, partitions, directories, files, services, ports, protocols, databases, etc... are before trying to do what you are trying to do.

Have you actually ever installed a computer? Have you ever set up and used a normal, basic web server like Apache? Have you ever created a basic website?

If not, those are the first things I would suggest you try to do.
Re: Upload large files [message #357525 is a reply to message #357062] Wed, 05 November 2008 14:06 Go to previous message
andrew again
an advantage of keeping the video (or whatever files) in database tables is that when you move the database or backup/restore it, the video content is included. A dissadvantage is that backup is big and will take long time to restore. Having the content in the DB also makes it easy to control access to it and make users go through the DB.

If you only have a few big files, I'd probably keep them outside the DB and either provide access directly via the web server or if you need to control access to them, then PL/SQL can read the external file and send back to browser.

http://www.orafaq.com/forum/t/54790/0
Previous Topic: Oracle database capacity planning
Next Topic: Simulating Oracle Stale Connection
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 10:05:45 CDT 2024